Posted by: Small House Under a Big Sky Homestead | June 20, 2012

The Lesson of the Electrician

The wires were live and laying on the floor of the attic…

A year ago June we had friends help us blow in insulation in our attic. It was a horrendously messy job on a hot day but a necessary one given the six to seven months of winter cold and wind in Michigan. Of course, we were trying to save money by asking a handy friend to help us out.

The electrician who fixed our problem today said that the former homeowner (or whoever did that line) left a wire exposed on the floor and our friend must have kneeled on that wire accidently and the fan and light stopped working as a result. We were lucky it did.

It only took my husband a year to call an electrician….and only after I drew the line in the sand that I was not going to stand over a the stove in the summer months until t got repaired. Yes, I could have called and handled it but this time was my husband’s turn and I had to stay the course.

It cost a chunk of change but in truth this was money well spent. Yes, it could have been a nice decorating addition, but I am happy to spend this money today and to have the piece-of-mind of knowing we, our dogs and our home is safe.

I am feeling extremely GRATEFUL today because this trained professional said that wire was hot and if one wire has touched the other, a fire would have started and in an attic full of insulation, our home likely would have burned down. VERY SCARY!

Lesson received and learned…

Small House / Big Sky Donna

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: